Legal Solutions For LGBT Couples In Texas
What used to be known as "same-sex marriage" is now simply a variety of marriage in courts of law, since the U.S. Supreme Court ruled on June 26, 2015, that our Constitution guarantees the right for same-sex couples to marry in all 50 states. As Associate Justice Anthony Kennedy stated in the majority opinion, "The Court, in this decision, holds same-sex couples may exercise the fundamental right to marry in all states."
Nonetheless, same-sex couples and couples including a person who is transgender often face unique family law challenges. A consultation with an experienced family law attorney can address special issues such as:
- Same-sex divorce or gay divorce and dissolution of domestic partnerships: Do you need a divorce — and can you obtain a divorce — if you were previously united through a registered domestic partnership? If divorce is not appropriate, how should you settle legal issues related to your separation?
- Adoption: What obstacles do you face as one partner plans to adopt as a second parent of a child born to the other one? What if the two of you wish to be foster parents or adopt a child together? Brian D. Williams, Attorney at Law, in Spring, Texas, can help your family navigate the legal processes pertaining to adoption.
- Child custody and visitation: If you have parented a child together and are now separated or planning to separate or divorce, you may need guidance from a attorney committed to protecting your parent-child relationship and the best interests of the child.
- Special issues for same-sex couples who do not marry: You may choose not to marry, but need advice regarding cohabitation or dissolution of your partnership and legal rights having to do with real estate ownership, inheritance rights, health care directives, hospital visitation rights, health insurance or life insurance.
- Name changes and gender changes: Transgender people often need legal advice as they establish new identities. Talk to a attorney who can help direct you if this is a vital issue in your life, partnership or marriage. Brian D. Williams can help you conduct a legal inventory of issues you may need to address, such as terms like "husband" and "wife" in life insurance policies, wills or other important documents.
Whatever Your LGBT Family Law Matter, Our Law Firm Is Here To Advise And Help You
Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people in the Houston area can turn to attorney Brian D. Williams with assurance of compassionate, thorough counsel and skillful representation in any legal matter. Call 832-717-0678, or email the law firm to schedule a consultation regarding any family law matter.